Wednesday 19 August 2015

My Journey to Fitness: Flaws and Insecurities

Hello everyone! We are so excited to be sharing this post because it applies to all girls. Particularly in our teens and young adult stages, we battle with our appearance, crave a nip and tuck here, a cinch there, it's no wonder why we can get so insecure. Itunu, 20 from www.rosesandredbottoms.co.uk shares the build up to her very intense journey to fitness. Looking good should come with feeling good, and these are goals that we hope this post can help all females out there to head towards. From us to you, if you do want to start a fitness journey or a weight loss journey... START NOW! START TODAY! Your body belongs to you only, so it is down to you to make it look and feel how you want it to. Without further ado, enjoy the post and we hope it inspires you...

 
 
As human beings it is inevitable for us to be flawed. Therefore, it is inevitable for us as humans to feel insecure about these ‘flaws’. One thing I have learnt during my 20 years of existence, is that not one person is perfect. It took me a long time to figure this out after years upon years of comparing myself to others; feeling inadequate and unhappy with my physical appearance. It is important to understand that comparing yourself to another person will NOT change your situation; it definitely didn’t change mine. I realised that in order to change my situation, I would have to change my lifestyle. My journey to fitness wasn’t a ‘wake up in the morning and join a gym, go on a diet’ kind of journey. It has taken me years to get to the point where I can openly accept my flaws and try to do something about them rather than complain 24/7.

When I was younger I was constantly being compared to other girls, my older sister, sometimes even my mother. It was like the body I was born with wasn’t good enough for people. It was like, if I didn’t look a certain way or have certain features, I wasn’t feminine enough or I wasn’t beautiful.

My body has been through a series of changes over the last few years. Up until the age of 16 I was about a size 4-6, and unlike many girls who would do anything to be skinny, I was the complete opposite. I hated being slim, so much so that my desire to gain weight almost consumed me.

From about 16-17 I gained weight rapidly and went from a size 4-6 to a size 10. This was the point in my life where I learnt that the grass is never greener on the other side. Alongside all the other features I wanted to gain, I also gained a muffin top (big stomach). However, because I didn’t gain weight the healthy way, I gained weight in all the right AND wrong areas.

By the end of my first year at university (present), I went down from a size 10 to a size 8 bordering 6. However, my stomach stayed the same. This was because I didn’t lose weight the healthy way either. In both situations I ate junk food with no exercise or any form of discipline. I had reached my breaking point. Not only did my physical appearance need to change, so did my lifestyle.

For years I have done nothing but complain about each and every single insecurity and flaw and done nothing about it. Nothing, until 01/08/2015. I realised that even though I am 20 and my body STILL isn’t where I want it to be, even though I’ve made the same mistakes over and over again, it isn’t too late because it’s never about how you start, it’s about how  you finish!

It dawned on me that not only do I want to look fit; I want to BE fit, and in order to do so I will need to change my entire lifestyle! This means, I needed to start exercising, changing my eating habits, and changing my mentality because fitness is much more than just the physical aspect of oneself.

Don’t get me wrong, there have been MANY times in my life where I’ve started ‘my journey to fitness’ but gave up after a month, sometimes even a week, but this time was different! I joined a gym for the first time in four years, ordered healthy food to get me going, and have given myself a 6 month goal. By 03/02/2016 (my 21st birthday) I need to have reached my fitness goals. At the moment, my physical fitness goals are to get a toned stomach, smaller waist and appear bigger on my lower body area. It’s no secret that so many females want this body, but you can either dream, or you can go to the gym. Your choice!

 I know it won’t be easy, and there will be many times I will want to give up, but I plan to not only keep myself motivated through this fitness journey, but also to motivate someone out there who needs it.

Here are some tips I found on how to stay motivated:

§  Take it one day at a time

§  Surround yourself with positivity

§  Create a vision board

§  Make S.M.A.R.T goals

§  Reward yourself

§  Believe in yourself

§  Acknowledge your positive attributes

§  Recognize your progress

§  Visualize accomplishing your goals

§  Be kind to yourself

§  Don’t compare yourself to others

AND

 

Over the course of ‘My Journey to Fitness’ I will be keeping you up to date with my progress  every other week. In addition, I will be listing and elaborating on my work out routines, tips and essentials, ideas for healthy meals and any other things I try in order to reach my fitness goals. By the end of this 6 month journey, I will also post a before and after picture to show you that anyone truly can do it!

‘There will always be two options, you can wish for it, or you can go out and MAKE IT HAPPEN’.

Join me on #MyJourneyToFitness, and remember to avoid being your own enemy! Accept your flaws, learn to love them and beat your insecurities with a healthier lifestyle on YOUR fitness journey.